Friday 5 June 2009

An official commemoration



EQUALITY 2009


I uphold equality: although
it hasn't held up that much stuff for me.

I think back to applying for a gay marriage.
A dark desk in a Sixties town hall.
Files building up like mediaeval remains.
The grey people in charge were charming
and I think we - the rainbow couple -
fizzed back in the usual way.
Smiles and laughs and relief
and hands held under the table.

It started raining. Something in their
faces began to crack. A passing sense
of having stretched things too far.
A growing back of the old god power
of the grey race.

We shouldn't follow them if we can help it.
These pale skins, these pious types,
these family guys, these slave-drivers
may be temptingly attractive...

'If only I could be like him,'
you whispered to me on the way out.
I squeezed your hand and held out for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment